Thursday, March 14, 2013

{Food} - Healthy(er) Eating

I'm making an effort to be healthier. 

Today for lunch I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat bread and a spinach salad with bleu cheese, fresh parmesan, and sliced almonds. Is it just me or does the really thin sliced fresh parmesan just make you feel fancier? Well, I felt fancy at least. And while my salad may have been smothered in ranch dressing, I still consider it a win because at least I wasn't eating one of the frozen burritos my husband bought. You know, with the mystery meat they call "beef" that looks like someone pre-chewed it then spit it out on your "burrito".

You know the kind.

Whenever I make an effort to be healthier I have big plans and grand ideas to make a total life change, then exactly 46 minutes later I'm snacking on Ghiradelli's chocolate chips. So this time I'm taking baby steps. I read a quote that said something to the effect of, "You eat what you buy." So while I never really kept junk food in the house (I'm too cheap) I wasn't making an effort to stock my fridge with healthy foods. So now I find myself snacking on sliced almonds, grapes, cuties, and apples. Oh, and hummus by the pound. I can literally eat a pound of hummus in a day. Just ask my husband. Or my friends. Or any who's ever met me.


Also, this is my new favorite salad dressing. It's not healthy or anything but it is delicious. You get it at Target and if you see that neon orange sticker that gives you butterflies because you're about to save a whopping .45 cents, then even better. Throw it on a bed of romaine lettuce, black beans, corn, cheese, grilled chicken, and those little tortilla strips. Or regular old crushed up tortilla chips if you're too cheap to buy the real thing.

So what are some tips you use to help you stay healthy? I'd love to hear anything I can try :)

No comments: